Monday, May 21, 2012

Vintage Yard Sale


Despite our pressing medical issues and with the help of my mother and father in law, we had a very successful yard/garage sale this past weekend. It was time to get rid of some of the overload in our home. I was not reluctant at all to get rid of any of the junk we were selling except....some of my Elvis collectibles. My husband more or less talked me into it...he was right, the memorabilia had been sitting in a closet for years, collecting dust. I will never fall out of love with the King, but I had fallen out of love with the items sitting in our junk room closet.


Luckily after a complete clean out of the junk room and garage, we had a lot of items to sell. We sat up Friday and Saturday morning. We stayed open until 6pm on Friday and 3pm on Saturday. We did pretty well, we walked away with just over 700 bones! All of my Elvis items were sold within the first 2 hours we opened on Friday! They were bought by people who I know would cherish them! 



Having the yard/garage sale was very beneficial financially and it was better than sitting around all weekend griping at each other about how much pain we were in! lol Although we did pay for all of the bending, stretching and squatting all weekend on Sunday. I learned that herniated disks are no joke and you should rest as much as possible! But hey, we had fun and made some extra $! My husband thoroughly enjoyed himself. He definitely has the gift of gab! ;) What a charmer!

I hope everyone had a terrific weekend and found some great goodies out and about!

6 comments:

thetoddlerwhisperer said...

YAY for a great garage sale!! We had one two weeks ago and cleaned out our garage in the process. I love that my hubby's first language is Spanish, because a lot of spanish speakers hit our garage sales and buy up stuff for flea markets...He doesn't look like he can speak spanish, but just when someone needs a translation the most, he steps in and makes the deals! :)

Old Fashioned Gal said...

Lucky you! I can barely remember any of the spanish I was taught in high school! lol
We live in a area that is pretty much older folks. I can't tell you how many stories I got to hear this past weekend from some of the elderly people that stopped by! One lady in particular. She sat on my porch and talked to us for a good hour about all of her vintage furniture and kitchen ware! She was so much fun!
The best part about the yard sale, aside from making money was meeting a lot of people from surrounding towns and hearing their stores. I'd do it all again just for that alone!
It's such a great feeling spring cleaning. I'm glad y'all got to unload your garage as well!
-Denise

vintage grey said...

Looks like you had a great yard sale!! I need to have one, too!! Love the Elvis photos!! Have a great week! xo Heather

Ric Rac and Polka Dots said...

Oh my goodness, I'm exhausted just reading your post. I'm finishing up the sewing studio and starting to do a late spring cleaning upstairs, and then I have to tackle the rest of the basement. Yuk. wish I was wealth and could just hire people to do it for me. I would love it!!! I could stand around and point and say do this, do that . . . well a girl can dream, can't she? I'm your newest follower. So nice to meet you!
Julie

Old Fashioned Gal said...

Thanks Heather!!! I'd love to see pics when and if you do have a yard sale. I meant to take pics of ours, but we ended up being busier than we thought we'd be! :)
Hope you're having a great week Heather!
-Denise

Old Fashioned Gal said...

Hi Julie! I'm so glad you joined my blog!
I completely understand about wishing for a hired hand! I could of used one of those this past weekend at our sale extravaganza!
Good luck on tackling your basement! There are things in my basement that I haven't looked at in forever, I think I'll save that chore for a very distant date lol!
Hope you're having great week! Thanks for joining!
-Denise