Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Vintage Nesting Dolls

I was toted over to the US as a baby. Yes folks, I am a proud Army brat! My father served in the military for over 20 years. While in Germany, my mother collected a lot of German crafting supplies. Those precious beauties have landed in my possession. I have so many packs of rick rack, needles, buttons, patches, spools of threads, etc. by German companies. Other than inheriting my mother's eclectic crafting supplies, I also obtained numerous goodies that she collected while over seas. One of those goodies,  Nesting Dolls...
Nesting dolls have a pretty neat history behind them. Matryoshka is a derivative of the name "Matryona" which was common among the female peasantry of old Russia. "Matryona" is in turn related to "mater," the Latin for "mother," thereby giving the nesting dolls a close connection with motherhood and fertility. The dolls, nested one inside the other, may also be seen as symbolizing the process of carrying and giving birth to a baby.
I love the fact that I found these sweet nesting dolls in my mother's things. Researching the history on nesting dolls put a big smile on my face.

Elvis nesting dolls!!!

LOL!
Happy Tuesday everyone! :)

12 comments:

Blessed Serendipity said...

I have always loved these nesting dolls. The history of these were interesting. Thanks for sharing. The Elvis version is so unusual. Hope you have a great day.

Danielle

vintage grey said...

Nesting dolls are so sweet! The Elvis version is so cool! Hope you Tuesday is lovely! xo Heather

craftyles said...

I love them. I have a set given to me by my Brother from Russia.I didn't really know the history behind them.You are lucky to have the craft stuff from your Mom.

Sally Annie Magundy said...

How wonderful that you have your mothers collection, I can remember being so enchanted by nesting dolls as a child. So delightful.

Happy Rednesday!

D said...

Hi, Denise,
Thanks so much for your sweet comments about my blog. I have been perusing yours, and I can see we like the same "vintage" stuff. Love the nesting dolls joke. And lucky you to have that cute '57 travel trailer.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Ha Ha! Love that comic! With the birth of another doll and the generations of mothers. Nesting dolls have a neat meaning. But that throws me off when I see Elvis nesting ideas! I bought both of my children nesting dolls from the Ukrain. They amaze me. Yours are really pretty! I love you hen in the nest, as well! i also have one like yours, except it is a golden rainbow colored glass. I inherited it from my Grandma! Your blog is cute, and I am following you!
Blessings,
Susie

raisingahappyfamily-momof8 said...

I remember playing with those nesting dolls...hours and hours at my aunts house while the adults played cards...
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
happy summer!

mylittlecottage said...

nice post thanks for sharing looking for to visit more...blessings

Bubble My Licorice said...

I love this post :)
It is great!!

http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.com/

sandy said...

Interesting info on nesting dolls! I have a set that my sister-in-law brought back from Russia. This gives them even more meaning!

I also love the little trailers on your sidebar. Brings back memories of my grandparents little travel trailer.

Just found you here and I'm your newest follower! Would love to have you visit me!

sandy

Brandy Lindsey said...

I have some presidential nesting dolls. A friend of my mother's brought them back from Russia (They are Russian leaders) Cool info.

Polkadotlady said...

Hi Old Fashioned Gal!
I was admiring your nesting dolls and remembering the same kind of dolls my friend Ursula had......I also was born in Germany and can boast that I have been to 12 different schools and lived in 24 houses! Yep...bonafide and proud to be an army brat. I still have some of the treasures from that time. Would love to see if you were over seas around the same time and where you lived.

Take care
Polkadotlady