Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cheesy Potato Casserole

Why is it I feel the need to say, "duuude" when something is funny, sad or tastes good?
I don't know...but all I do know is, this recipe for Cheesy Potato Casserole, will NOT let you down!
Talk about comfort food on center stage!


You will need:

  • 1  30oz bag of Country Style Hash Browns
  • 2 - cans of 10 1/2oz Cream of Chicken (most recipes call for 1 can but I have made this a few times  before and it DOES NOT taste as creamy and good with 1 can, trust me...use 2)
  •  2  cups of sour cream
  • 2  cups of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
  • 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion (I HATE onions so I barely put any in and then add about 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder)
  • 2 cups of crushed corn flakes
  • 1/4 cup of melted butter
    Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or butter. (I go the oldschool route and butter the baking dish)
2. In a large bowl, slowly mix together soup, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir in cheese, onion and Hash Browns until well mixed. Spoon evenly into baking dish.

3. In a medium bowl, mix together corn flakes and melted butter. Spread evenly on top of Hash Brown mixture.
4. Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

    This is one of those dishes where it still tastes good re-heated!
    It was so yummy! :)


     

9 comments:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Love how you used your Pyrex!
And I love hashbrown casserole, my all time favorite.

Karen Mary Butterfly said...

Um, I am pretty sure I'd be saying, "Dudddde!" too when eating this. I am going to pin it to my Yum-E board. I haven't had carbs (not a slice a bread, a potato, or anything good) since may. If, I don't lose weight soon, I am making this and eating it all. Love your Pyrex!!!!

Chicken Wrangler said...

I would like to add onion - love em! That sounds pretty tasty, and I'm surprised at the cornflakes in the recipe. I'll definitely have to try that one! Thanks for sharing it.

Vonlipi said...

You know what? I would've used cream of cheddar instead of
cream of chicken.

I can't help thinking that there's a lot of fat and a lot of cheese in that casserole. I've been watching all I put in my mouth since June....I'm sure I could tweek it to lower the fat!

vintage grey said...

Looks delicious!! xo Heather

Anne said...

Your cheesy potatoes look good and I love your pink Pyrex bowl. Hope your having a swell week!

ThrifterSisters said...

OMG my mother-in-law has made these for years only she calls them Schwartzies and doesn't put cornflakes on them. They are AMAZING! Next time she makes them, I will have her use some of my Pyrex. I'm sure it will make them taste 10 times better:-)

Erica

Lois' Laughlines said...

Duuuuude I've had it, and it is delicious. I so enjoy your blog.
blessings to you.

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

What an adorable blog you have here! Right down my alley! I LOVE this recipe and have made it many times...it is a family favorite! Love your yummy pictures! Hummm, sounds good good for dinner tonight! xox